Sr. Tax Manager
In Torrance, California 90248
A tax manager is responsible for all facets of an engagement and has the ability to manage numerous engagements at one time. For a typical complex tax project, for example, the tax manager should be able to complete an engagement through the technical review. This includes coordinating the interaction of the client and the engagement team, overseeing the engagement planning, fieldwork, and the completion of the engagement. Additionally, a tax manager is involved in certain administrative and practice development functions within the firm and/or department.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Responsible for a wide variety of diversified tax assignments with minimal supervision. Will work with a variety of different professionals, clients, tax entity types (1040, 1120, 1120-S, 1041, 1065, etc) and industry groups. Performance is judged based on the engagement effectiveness, staff, client and personnel management, quality of work, application of tax knowledge, ability to recognize and solve problems, ability to train and support less experienced staff, work as an effective team member, and ability to meet time and budget constraints.
- Build professional relationship with client’s management/stockholders/ownership group. Plan and contribute to the development of relationships between the client and the engagement team.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the client’s business, income tax and financial reporting objectives, overall financial position and performance, the client’s industries and its markets.
- Provide clients with valuable ideas and counsel.
- Develop significant tax planning ideas and strategies and effectively communicate with clients.
- Keep the client appropriately informed as to significant engagement problems and the overall status of our work.
- Maintain communications with key client personnel during non-engagement periods.
Specific Responsibilities and Expectations:
Use tax experience in performing risk assessments, tax planning engagement and development of an overall approach.
- Demonstrate the ability to listen to, understand and incorporate client’s needs and objectives into an engagement or project’s design and execution.
- Coordinate and supervise planning process; including meetings with client and engagement team.
- Supervise and oversee individuals or teams in performing tasks.
- Review and quality control the work of others.
- Keep the team well informed and create a climate where the team and individual members actively participate in the engagement.
- Anticipate and identify complex, reporting, and tax issues and work closely with the engagement partner in resolving them on a timely basis.
- Perform a timely and thorough review of tax working papers and reports, ensuring that all significant accounting, compliance, disclosure and reporting matters have been identified, resolved, and documented in accordance with firm policies and professional standards in a timely manner.
- Oversee the wrap-up of all assigned engagements, ensuring that all significant matters have been identified, addressed, resolved and adequately documented in accordance with firm policies and in a timely manner.
- Provide leadership in the timely delivery of quality services that exceed the expectations of our clients.
- Responsible for client adherence to compliance related deadlines such as extensions, tax estimates, and tax filings.
- Ability to approve and take ownership of the most complex individual and business returns
- Act as a primary resource for staff on tax issues.
- Review IRS notices and draft responses, review related staff work.
- Assume a high degree of responsibility and exposure within the firm.
- Demonstrate deep tax technical expertise and develop a solid reputation.
- Utilize firm personnel and reference materials in the resolution of issues (RIA, AICPA, IRC sections and regulations, Spidell, etc.).
- Develop a thorough understanding of a client’s business transactions and financial reporting issues with a view towards tax implications.
- Demonstrate intimate knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code, regulations and other tax authority standards.
- Complete complex tax research assignments and propose solutions.
- Proficient at reviewing tax research performed by others.
- Proficient at the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary, and other returns prepared by the firm using Pfx Tax.
- Proficient at the review of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary, and other returns prepared by the firm using Pfx Tax.
- Develop intimate knowledge of technology and promote its use; is proficient in the use of both the firm’s software and other commonly used packages.(MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook, Pfx Engagement, Pfx Tax, Pfx Fixed Assets, Pfx Practice, XCM, and online tools)
- Seek opportunities to improve technical and management skills through continuing education, seminars, etc.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing demands and tasks.
- Successfully manage multiple engagements as well as large and complex engagements and bring them to a timely completion within their established scope and budget.
- Complete engagement work on a timely basis, efficiently monitoring and controlling all time spent on engagements.
- Keep partner informed of engagement status on a continual basis.
- Responsible for billing analyses and preparation, including monitoring status and assisting in collection.
- Assist and mentor staff in establishing goals and career plans, including constructively delivering candid and timely performance feedback to staff.
- Respect the personal lives of engagement team members and consider alternatives in order to support team members in balancing multiple commitments, while still meeting client deadlines.
- Effectively delegate responsibility to staff to enhance their professional development, encouraging them to grow and to accept more challenging duties.
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and commitment to the firm and profession that is an example to the engagement team and client personnel.
- Instill a sense of team spirit, partnership, enthusiasm, and good morale among the staff, and act as a leader and role model to others.
- Responsible for job performance reviews of supervisors, seniors, and staff.
- Be a leader and champion of all firm efforts and commitments.
- Mentor, develop and train less experienced staff.
- Work effectively in a team environment and build good working relationships with firm management.
- Actively participate in firm tax training and updates.
- Participate and lead tax department administrative projects.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Masters degree in taxation recommended
- Typically, a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in dealing with complex tax matters increasing in scope of supervisory and marketing experience.
SKILLS & LICENSES
- Valid active CPA license required.
- Proficient in use of computers and basic software applications
- Above average written and verbal communication skills
- Successful problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to perform in highly interruptive conditions
- Project management ability
- Ability to perform under time-pressures and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English
- Highly analytical
- Ability to train less experienced staff
- Ability to lead a team