Sr. Audit Manager
In Irvine, California 92602
An audit senior manager is responsible for all facets of an engagement and has the ability to manage numerous engagements at one time. For an audit or review, for example, the senior audit manager should be able to complete an engagement through the technical "cold" review. This includes coordinating the interaction of the client and the engagement team, overseeing the engagement planning, fieldwork, and the completion of the engagement. Additionally, a senior audit manager is involved in certain administrative and practice development functions within the firm and/or department.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Responsible for a wide variety of diversified accounting and auditing assignments under the supervision of the signing partner. Will work with a variety of different professionals, clients and industry groups. Performance is judged based on the engagement effectiveness, staff, client and personnel management, quality of work, application of tax and accounting knowledge, ability to train and support less experienced staff, ability to recognize and solve problems, work as an effective team member, and ability to meet time and budget constraints. Develop ways to improve firm procedures and staff development.
- Build professional relationship with client’s management/stockholders/ ownership group. Plan and contribute to the development of relationships between the client and the engagement team.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the client’s business, financial reporting and income tax objectives, overall financial position and performance, the client’s industries and its markets.
- Provide clients with valuable ideas and counsel.
- Develop significant management letter comments and effectively communicate to clients.
- Keep the client appropriately informed as to significant engagement problems and the overall status of our work.
- Maintain communications with key client personnel during non-engagement periods.
- Ability to respond timely to client inquiries and determine the need for additional research or other services.
- Demonstrate a complete understanding of firm policies and procedures and act as a leader in their enforcement.
- Use audit experience in performing risk assessment and development of audit approach.
- Demonstrate the ability to listen to, understand and incorporate client’s needs and objectives into an engagements or project’s design and execution.
- Coordinate and supervise planning process; including meetings with client and engagement team.
- Supervise and oversee individuals or teams in performing tasks.
- Review and quality control the work of others.
- Keep the team well informed and create a climate where the team and individual members actively participate in the engagement.
- Anticipate and identify complex accounting, auditing, reporting, and tax issues and work closely with the engagement partner in resolving them on a timely basis.
- Perform a timely and thorough review of audit working papers and reports, ensuring that all significant accounting, auditing, and reporting matters have been identified, resolved, and documented in accordance with firm policies and professional standards in a timely manner.
- Oversee the wrap-up of all assigned engagements, ensuring that all significant matters have been identified, addressed, resolved and adequately documented in accordance with firm policies and in a timely manner.
- Provide leadership in the timely delivery of quality services that exceed the expectations of our clients.
- Assume a high degree of responsibility and exposure within the firm.
- Demonstrate deep technical expertise and develop a solid reputation.
- Utilize firm personnel and reference materials in the resolution of issues (RIA, FASB, AICPA, IRC sections and regulations, Spidell, etc.).
- Demonstrate intimate knowledge of the FASB, AICPA and other relevant accounting standards and pronouncements.
- Complete complex research assignments accounting and auditing issues and propose solutions.
- Become proficient at preparing financial statements using Pfx Engagement.
- Become proficient at the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary, and other returns prepared by the firm using Pfx Tax.
- Develop intimate knowledge of technology and promote its use; is proficient in the use of both the firm’s software and other commonly used packages.(MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook, Pfx Engagement, Pfx Tax, Pfx Fixed Assets, Pfx Practice, XCM, and online tools)
- Seek opportunities to improve technical and management skills through continuing education, seminars, etc.
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing demands and tasks.
- Successfully manage multiple engagements as well as large and complex engagements and bring them to a timely completion within their established scope and budget.
- Complete engagement fieldwork on a timely basis, efficiently monitoring and controlling all time spent on engagements.
- Keep partner informed of engagement status on a continual basis.
- Responsible for billing analyses and preparation, including monitoring status and assisting in collection.
- Assist and mentor staff in establishing goals and career plans, including constructively delivering candid and timely performance feedback to staff.
- Respect the personal lives of engagement team members and consider alternatives in order to support team members in balancing multiple commitments, while still meeting client deadlines.
- Effectively delegate responsibility to staff to enhance their professional development, encouraging them to grow and to accept more challenging duties.
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and commitment to the firm and profession that is an example to the engagement team and client personnel.
- Instill a sense of team spirit, partnership, enthusiasm, and good morale among the staff, and act as a leader and role model to others.
- Responsible for job performance reviews of supervisors, seniors, and staff.
- Be a leader and champion of all firm efforts and commitments.
- Mentor, develop and train less experienced staff.
- Work effectively in a team environment and build good working relationships with firm management.
- Actively participate in firm A&A training and updates.
Practice and Personal Development:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients and key referral sources.
- Become involved with community organizations and activities.
- Maintain an active contact network and manage day-to-day relations with bankers, attorneys and clients through leadership of and participation in targeted business, professional, industry, and social activities.
- Draft and assist in the delivery of proposals.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge about the range of services offered by the firm.
- Engage in practice development activities such as participating in industry seminars, making presentations, or publishing articles.
- Identify and pursue new or enhanced client service opportunities.
- Participate in recruiting activities, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Accept responsibility for personal development.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Typically, college graduate with at least 10 years of relevant experience dealing with accounting and auditing issues of increased scope and responsibility.
SKILLS & LICENSES
- Valid active CPA license required.
- Proficient in use of computers and basic software applications
- Above average written and verbal communication skills
- Successful problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to perform in highly interruptive conditions
- Project management ability
- Ability to perform under time-pressures and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English
- Ability to train less experienced staff
- Highly analytical
- Demonstrated leadership ability